9:18 AM

Stepping Down

Okay, so now this whole thing has just gone out of control crazy style.

The CEO of the Cartoon Network has stepped down!

An excerpt from his letter:

"To: Colleagues
From: Jim Samples

I am sure you are aware of recent events in which a component of an Adult Swim marketing campaign made Turner Broadcasting the unintended focus of controversy in Boston and around the world. I deeply regret the negative publicity and expense caused to our company as a result of this campaign.

As general manager of Cartoon Network, I feel compelled to step down, effective immediately, in recognition of the gravity of the situation that occurred under my watch. It's my hope that my decision allows us to put this chapter behind us and get back to our mission of delivering unrivaled original animated entertainment for consumers of all ages."

Way to take the piss out of unique promotions. This makes me so furious! (Not his letter, as it is of course courteous and gracious.) Is it the network's fault that the city of Boston created panic around something that a quick online search could've clarified in minutes? Are we seriously going to have to think twice, as per the mayor's earlier comments, about doing street campaigns? For the love of all things holy, Samples's resignation only positions this type of marketing as being inherently problematic -- I get that he ended up being the one to take the fall in what resulted in millions of dollars in damages, but were the millions of dollars in damages really necessary? It seems to me that the network should've stood up to these crazy reactionaries (who are, I'm certain, increasing the voracity of their distress about this stuff due to their supreme embarrassment at creating such a scene over nothing) with the fact that the promo was running all over the damn country without any bomb squads.

We're letting the terrorists win!

Bah.

0 comments: