7:29 PM

Summertime...

And the eating is fresh!

I don't yet have the KitchenAid pasta-making attachments, but I nonetheless bought a package of Olivieri fettucine tonight and opted for fresh with this recipe for Summer Splendor Pasta.

The only variations I went for were as follows:

  1. Pan fried the zucchini with a little oil instead of boiling it.
  2. Cooked the sauce with a little oil instead of using water.
  3. Skipped the wine (none in the house, booo).
  4. Added a sprinkle of oregano.
  5. Added a teaspoon or so of sugar.
I haven't made zucchini... um, I don't think ever. I always get things with zucchini in them at restaurants, but for some reason it's never occurred to me to make it myself. Silly. In any case, it added serious fresh flavour (appropriate, given the name) and I was super happy. Didn't feel like I had any diet restrictions whatsoever.

Next up, I made bunnyrock's homemade peanut butter. I added about a quarter cup of agave syrup to this, as I'm still getting used to sweet-free nut butters. And I don't know if my blender is just giving me crap or what, but I'm having a tough time getting it to a texture similar to hers in this picture. Why? It's a GE! Don't fail me now, Jack Welch/Jack Donaghy! (Either way, I used pumpkin pie spice - cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves - and it tastes damn delicious.)

I will be giving the raw vegan brownies from 28 Cooks a shot once I figure out if my blender can handle them.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Wait, you're using a blender? That's not going to work. It's not really meant for heavy chopping - food processor all that way for jobs like this.

Foxy Renard said...

Oopsie, no, I'm using a processor. I get the names mixed up sometimes. Hah.