11:28 AM

Doing Good is... Good

I am super excited. I got approved today to be a mentor with the Canadian Youth Business Foundation. Some lucky young entrepreneur has no idea what's about to hit them. (Hah.)

I've been wanting to figure out some kind of volunteering to do for ages, but couldn't figure out what was meaningful to me. I mean, there are a million things that matter, how on earth do you pick one? Finally, I decided that it should be something business-related as that's pretty much what I'm good at and I really do care about economic development and communities and that whole story.

So recently, I started volunteering with MBAs Without Borders and now this. Both are a pretty minor time commitment, but it feels really awesome to be doing something that actually might help someone. When your day-to-day life circles around effectively selling people gadgets, it's pretty nice to think about doing something that doesn't.

3 comments:

Ms.Smarties said...

I had no idea about those programs. Sounds like they were made for you!

Christie said...

Sounds great! James is hoping to volunteer with Junior Achievement next school year to help budding entrepreneurs - he's had two businesses - one in high school and one in university. I meanwhile have no interest in that at all, but am happy that he has found a great place to put some volunteer time.

Foxy Renard said...

I was IN Junior Achievement as a kid and volunteered a few years ago. It's an amazing program, sooooooo beneficial and useful to the kids. Great idea to James!