2:15 PM

Getting Fresh

I absolutely love Fresh.

Today, my parents are traveling from Edmonton to Portugal for a little vacation and had an overnight in Toronto. We met up with them for lunch before they headed back to the airport. In my ongoing effort in forcing them to try new things, I suggested Fresh. (Actually, Dave originally suggested it, as it's near a guitar store he wanted to show my dad, but I ultimately agreed and suggested it to my mom, so it's still kind of my choice. Hah.)

In any case, if you haven't been there before, you must go. It's the yummiest veggie restaurant in town (and in any town that I've ever tried) and we had yummy smoothies, Thai burgers, sweet potato fries, and miso gravy (heaven). In any case, the thing that cracked me up about this experience was the waiter's introduction of Today's Special.

"For brunch today, we have scrambled tofu, veggie back bacon, and..."

I didn't even hear the rest, as I was too focused on quieting my internal laughter.

Everything I've ever tried at Fresh is clearly veggie. It's no veggie food trying to make itself out to be non-veggie food. It's all "Hey. I'm a big delicious salad. This is my buddy, big delicious bowl of rice and veggies and sauce and tofu. And, hey, I know my brother's name says burger, but that's just for format -- it's pretty clear that he's made of veggie stuff and soy and the like. Good? Good."

Scrambled tofu? Veggie back bacon?

Kills me.

3 comments:

Ms.Smarties said...

Yummy.

I had never been to a vegeterian restaurant until a couple of weeks ago. Greens is now one of my all time favourite resto.

Lor said...

This quote is exactly right: "It's no veggie food trying to make itself out to be non-veggie food."

It's like my hair. For years I denied that it's somewhat curly and I'd use the straightening iron, get hair cuts meant for straight hair, and it just always looked like crap. Since I've embraced it's curliness, started listening to it, accepting it and loving it, it's much better behaved.

I find that vegetarian food that tries to make itself seem like it's not isn't tasty at all. But, when it embraces it's vegetarian-ness, it can be oh so yummy!

Where is this Fresh place, ma'am?

-Joy

Foxy Renard said...

Well, the one near me is at Queen and Crawford, but I believe there are a few locations in the city. I have their site linked in the blog, stalk one down near you!