1:28 PM

Flipping Prick

So we went across the street last night to our little convenience/grocery store to pick up some fruit, as I am fighting this god-forsaken cold/flu and I was sure it would make me feel better. Going in, there is a homeless man outside trying to get some change. We didn't have any, but told him we'd get him on the way out. He smiled.

He was an older native man, probably in his late fifties. He looked so lost and alone, it made my heart hurt. I wondered if he had a family, what had happened that he was all alone on the street, asking so quietly for a little help with his empty coffee cup. His eyes looked so tired. It made me really sad.

So we got our oranges and bananas and were leaving the little market when we walked outside to see some yuppie prick do about the cruelest thing I've seen in a long time.

The old man had clearly asked him for some change. We saw this asshole look at him smugly, grab some change out of his pocket, and flip it up into the air the way you'd toss a coin.
Obviously, the change went everywhere and the old man gasped: "Oh, oh dear, oh my..." as he tried to maneuvre his way around the street, picking up the coins.

The yuppie asshole? He laughed. And laughed. And laughed.

My jaw had completely dropped at this point. Dave called the guy a fucking prick, he just continued to laugh as he walked off, totally delighted by the way he'd treated this poor old soul like a dog, performing some ridiculous trick for his buddies.

It was completely sickening. I wanted to just cry.

I believe that people are generally good. I believe that we all have great capacity to do nice things and be kind and make others smile. I don't understand why anyone would completely ignore such an impulse and let themselves grossly dehumanize another human being. It's just not right.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That makes my heart bleed. Why do people have to be so bloody cruel?:(

Ms.Smarties said...

Your story makes my stomach sick.

I am just back from Cambodia where 3 million people died in a genocide between 1975 and 1979. Call me cynical, but I think people are inherently bad. That's why religion was needed and that's why we now need laws and regulations. If there were absolutely no consequences, I doubt the human race would survive.

Yes, cynical ;-)

Lexy said...

Apparently that dickhead missed the lesson on if you can't do/say something nice, don't do anything at all.

Unknown said...

Oh, that almost made me cry too. What a fucking asshole.