9:01 PM

All I Want Post-Christmas Is...

Okay, so it's official. We are loft-owners.

After years of dreaming about having my own place (or our own place, once Dave was in the picture), and a year and a half of hardcore skimping, debt reduction, and saving, we finally got it together. It's been total torture waiting for the whole thing to be real, but this afternoon it turned from foggy fantasy to black-and-white life-owing.

So! Now comes the good part. The home-making! The following is my list of home necessities:

(1) Painting. I've been visiting the Benjamin Moore site like it's keeping me alive. I want to pick my colours for every room and hire some painters. Since we get in there on March 23rd, but don't have to move 'til the 31st, we have a week to get it all prettied up. Dave is somewhat hesitant on this one, as he thinks we should live there and feel out what it should look like first, but I'm pushing for it.

(2) Bedroom set. When we got married, my beloved aunt and uncle gave us the gift of a new bed. If by new bed, I mean cash to cover a new bed. Needless to say, that chunk of change was better used elsewhere at the time and we never got the cozy boudoir of which I dreamed. Now? Oh, hell yeah.

(3) Office stuff. We took a small apartment to save money as part of the scrimp and save strategy. Dave has made the corner of our wee bedroom his office. He works from home. This has been majorly harsh for him. At the new place, he has a good sized bedroom to turn into his office. He shall get whatever his heart so desires for his hideous sacrifice. As someone who has worked from home in the past, I can't believe he's been able to handle it for this long.

(4) Front bench. When people walk in, we want a place for them to sit their things down. I don't know what it will look like, but I will find it.

(5) Living room mirrors. The people who live there now had 'em. I loved 'em. I want 'em.

(6) Above-range microwave. Okay, this isn't exactly a necessity. But I really, really love those babies, and I'm going to get one. Maybe not immediately, but within a few months.

(7) Bosu ball. Okay, this isn't house-related, but I really freakin' want one.

Um, I think that's it. I made this list last weekend and thus far, I've bought a chocolate coloured curtain for the ensuite bathroom and some stainless steel salt and pepper shakers. It's going to be just way too much fun.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Congrats on your loft!!

The shopping-for-new-stuff-for-our-new-place is always fun.

And I am definitely for painting before you move in. We decided to do it after, and so far, all that is painted is the hallway and our bedroom.

Have fun!

dinah34 said...

I. Am. So. Jealous.

that is one gorgeous loft.

1. definitely paint before you get there. it's so much easier to paint in an empty room then have to rearrange everything.

2. the bench is an awesome idea. i had one years ago and it rocked!

3. i want a bosu as well, but i just got a bunch of other workout stuff so i'm going to hold off for a while.

Congrats on the Loft.

Anonymous said...

Get a deacon's bench for your foyer. They look amazing and won't go out of style

They can look like this: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.laser-etch.com/images/benches/okwntdblrg.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.laser-etch.com/benches.html&h=450&w=479&sz=41&tbnid=hRAxPDH0X9vZAM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=126&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddeacon%2527s%2Bbench%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DRNWE,RNWE:2005-10,RNWE:en%26sa%3DN

And are great for storing crap like phone books, hats, mittens etc...

Congrats again!

Foxy Renard said...

Ooh, Bosu-stalking. I love you for it!