8:25 PM

Some Updates

Hey! There apparently is a word for what I'm doing: pescetarian. Who'd have thought?

In any case, things have been fabulous since we got our barbecued. I grilled tuna steaks for Dave's birthday with lemon and fresh herbs. I've been making some delectable salads, and am particularly re-loving my baked homemade french fries (curried is best). I've even started having soymilk on my cereal without a problem.

You know what I don't like, though?

At the cottage last weekend, I was a little forlorn at the lack of steak action, but veggie burgers with steak spice helped me out. However! When Dave was having his amazing Italian sausages, I decided to try out some veggie dogs. Now, I hadn't had veggie dogs in probably ten years, and when I had them, I completely hated them. But my sister swore to me they were great again, and I gave 'em a shot.

Dave called them Not Dogs and said they looked like Tootsie Rolls.

They were sick. Sick. I couldn't even finish a single one and hated them so much that I actually threw them in the garbage.

Nonetheless, when I found soy chicken nugget looking things and soy chicken strips, I still bought 'em. Sigh.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

With veggie dogs I've found that it reaaaalllyyyy depends on which brand and type you get. For example, the Yves 'tofu' dogs are gross. As for the rest of the Yves stuff, they've repackaged everything so I'm not sure which ones are my old favourites. :( However, I actually prefer the Schneiders meatless dogs: http://www.schneiders.ca/products.aspx?categoryID=7

Good luck finding more tasty things to BBQ! Fish done on the grill sounds delicious!

Christie said...

Yeah, I've never found a meatless hot dog that I've enjoyed. That said, I've reasonable facsimiles for other things - I'd recommend the Schneider's Au Natural chicken burgers - so very very yummy.

Foxy Renard said...

I will try the Schneider's next time, thanks for the tip!

Christie, I haven't found any good ones still either. I can't eat chicken right now or I'd totally go for those. Yum!

Christie said...

Oh foxy, the "chicken" burgers aren't really chicken - they're a meat alternative. Sorry for the confusion!

K said...

The best fake meat that I've ever had are called "naked chick'n cutlets" and I forget who makes them but they're in an orange box. If you ever encounter them, you must pick them up! Meat substitutes are touch and go, you've got to try a lot of them before you find what works for you- good luck!