4:48 PM

Shopping = Done and Done

I think I've got everyone now. We had more people than ever to shop for this year: my parents, Dave's mom and stepdad, Dave's dad, my sister and her husband, Dave's sister and her husband, our much-adored niece, my grandparents, my cousin's kids, the partners at my company, my mom from my dad, Dave's mom and stepdad from my parents, and Dave's dad from my parents. Oh yeah, and Dave.

Yeesh!

Oh, well, except for my work gift exchange gift. I have no ideas here. I want something silly and fun, but have yet to find anything entertaining enough for the $20 limit. If all else fails, some poor sucker will be getting a Starbucks gift card.

In any case, the whole shebang is effectively donesville. I got a few ideas from the giftees, a few ideas from friends (mostly stealing Jen's ideas and using them as my own, hah), and a few of them came from my own frenzied little head. I am particularly pleased with myself on two counts:

(1) Dave's main gift is really fun and I thought of it all on my own. He hasn't asked for it, but did mention about six months ago that he'd like one. It'll be a fun surprise!
(2) I don't usually finish 'til Christmas Eve. I have wrapping paper and ribbon and even real Christmas cards for all recipients. Now that is organization.
(3) I'm putting everything under my own tree for the day. It looks bloody spectacular.

I generally have a distaste for shopping. I find it painfully time-consuming and hate it more than anything when the malls are busy. But at Christmas? I intentionally go when I know things will be bizarre and out of control with holiday madness. I giggle at those who are waiting in line with grumpy faces. I snicker at disgruntled drivers who just missed a key spot in the parking lot. I love the dads sitting on benches half-asleep while their wives spend half an hour deciding between two different shades of sweaters for their in-laws. I find the exhausted, terrified, sobbing children waiting in the Santa line-up endlessly hysterical. I am amused by the couples who do the 007 mall split to shop for each other and are peeking around every corner to make sure their other half won't see the bags. There is major entertainment at every step.

Yep, the holidays truly are the most wonderful time of the year -- at least for those of us who love gift shopping.

0 comments: